St. John's Area School was constructed by Cy Kuffel Construction. Total cost of the project was $400,000.
Classrooms were furnished by donations - one room by Father J.A. Kroll, one by the Gordon Rothfork family,
and six rooms by the St. John's Rosary Society. The original playground was equipped by the St. John's Rosary Society.
Fr. John Kroll was the pastor of St. John's Parish and was highly responsible for the building of the school.
He served as pastor beginning September 16th, 1944 through 1968.
St. John's Area School first opened its doors on September 3, 1963. Grades 1, 2, and 3 were offered and the total enrollment was 93.
A grade was then added each year until 6th grade was opened in 1967. The entire teaching staff was comprised of Franciscan nuns from Little Falls. The first principal
was Sister M. Michaela Moos. Franciscan Sisters taught here until 1986. St. John's Area School now hosts grades Pre-Kindergarten through 6th grade and houses 18 staff to continue
the excellence of Catholic education in the Foley community.
The fall of 2013, St. John's Area School celebrated it's 50 Anniversary!